17.10.10

busy weekend

FRIDAY::

On Friday night, my family threw a birthday BBQ for me :D So now I had a BBQ before and after my actual birthday haha
My two friends Kate and Kei came and so did my entire family--



This BBQ was more American style than the last one. We had chicken, pork chops, scallops, burgers, fruit salad, salmon, mushrooms and potatoes! And there was ice cream cake too ^__^



SATURDAY::

The next day I traveled all the way to Saitama to go to the Kawagoe Festival. It was way bigger than I expected and took up all the main roads of the town. There were tons of people there and stalls set up all down the streets.



I ate soooo much good food there! I had kara-age, a ramen burger, and sweet potato soft serve. I also got to try some other stuff like jaga-butter (potato w/ butter), banana choco (Naomi bought one, then she one rock-paper-scissors with the guy selling them and so we got one for free), and some other matsuri food.




Besides food, there were also 10 huge floats called dashi that represented each of the neighborhoods of Kawagoe. They had people on them playing music, one person in a mask, and got pulled through the streets. When they met another float they had a battle and eventually one float becomes the winner. The construction was really detailed and impressive; the whole 2nd level could be lowered down manually, and the floats could rotate around the base.







The rest of the city was really pretty too. This town is known as "Little Edo," so there are lots of traditional looking places and buildings.




Although it was extremely crowded and we did a lot of walking, I really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to going to more matsuri next July~

2 comments:

  1. Those floats looked like they were straight out of InuYasha, so badass. Also the fact that the dude gave your friend something for free because she beat him at rock paper scissors is so awesome. you know what would happen if you tried that here, they would be lame and say "naaaaaaaaaaahh brooo, I can't unless mah manager lets me... duurrrrrrr". Or something like that. That and the fact your host family seems awesome because they threw a BBQ for you in their garage next to their sweet Pickup, you must be having a great time. Can't wait to see you in December! And no, mom hasn't booked the tickets as far as I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so great that ur family threw u a bbq bday! I wish you could name all the people in the picture so i would know who is who - the cake looks yummy - in fact ALL the food you show looks yummmmmmy!!
    Omy gosh - the floats and festivities are just amaaazing! and you had such a good view of everything! the details, lanterns, architecture, sounds, music and colors just astound me and the videos are the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete